Pet Passport

We have been involved with the Pet Travel Scheme ever since its inception in 2000. Our clients were amongst the pioneers of holidaying abroad with their pets and battled through some of the early muddle, confusion and bureaucracy. We now have five vets licenced by DEFRA to issue Pet Passports.

A pet passport allows your pet to return to the UK from a list of countries who are signed up to the scheme without enduring 6 months in quarantine. It is also recognised by certain other countries - check the DEFRA web site for details.

To get your Pet Passport

1. Your dog or cat must be microchipped if this has not already been done.
2. He or she must be vaccinated with a licenced Rabies vaccine by a Veterinary Surgeon.
3. The Passport must be completed and issued by one of our five DEFRA licenced Official Veterinary Surgeons.
4. The Passport becomes valid for travel after 21 days.

Keeping your Pet Passport up to date

To keep the passport up to date, your pet must receive a Rabies booster within the time limit stipulated by the vaccine manufacturers data sheet.
In the case of the Virbac vaccine that we are currently using at The Veterinary Centre that means a booster every 3 years. If you miss that 3 year deadline by even one day you will have to wait 21 days, from the date that the booster is given, before your pet can travel again.

Using your Pet Passport to Travel Abroad from the UK

Every nation state has its own rules and regulations for allowing animals into their country and you are strongly advised to visit the DEFRA website well in advance of your intended journey, to ensure that your pet will be allowed into your holiday destination in the first place!

For countries outside the EU Pet Passport scheme the regulations for travelling with your pet may be very much more complicated, even draconian, and in some cases will involve a period of quarantine. If you are considering taking your dog or cat further afield then you need to plan ahead. For some destinations you may need to start preparations as much as a year in advance.

Your pet can travel to EU listed countries, and also return to the UK without need for quarantine, 21 days from the date of the Rabies vaccination.

Staying Abroad

If you intend to stay with your pet in a foreign country for a prolonged period, say more than 3 months, you may well have to comply with the law of that country regarding Rabies vaccination and often that means vaccinating annually regardless of what the vaccine data sheet recommends.

Returning to the UK

Before returning to the UK you must get your DOG treated for Tapeworm with an approved product administered by a Veterinarian, 24 to 120 hours (one to five days) before embarkation. The veterinarian must record the treatment given, and the date and time of administration, in the passport. 
Cats are exempt from this bit.

Your pet must travel via an approved carrier who will check the pets microchip and the passport before allowing you to embark. You can't bring your dog or cat into the UK on a private boat or private plane.

Dangers for Dogs Abroad
If you aim to take your dog on holiday abroad see how best to protect them against serious and potentially life-threatening illnesses that they may contract.

Further details are available on the DEFRA website